Shotwell is still in early stages of the development, but it has proved to be a stable application to import, manage and edit(with limited capabilities) on GNU/Linux desktop. The current version of Shotwell is 0.7 and Fedora 13 ships with version 0.5. Here are some of the key features of Shotwell-0.7:
- Import photos from digital cameras supported by gPhoto or from a disk or from F-spot
- Supports JPEG, PNG and Raw formats.
- Automatically organise photos based on events and collections.
- Organise photos using tags and titles. A photo can have multiple tags. The tags will be included in the metadata when you export the photo.
- Publish photos to Facebook, Flickr and Google Picasa
- Rate the photos
- Photo editing - crop, rotate, auto-enhance, red-eye correction, colour adjustments, etc..
- Edit the photos which are not imported to shotwell.
- Allows the user to set the photo as the desktop background and slideshows
- Automatically detect missing photos
- The original photos are stored in ~/Pictures
The Shotwell team has published a short, but comprehensive user guide for end-users, which can be accessed here. Shotwell packages are available for Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSuse. It has also a Microsoft Windows version with limited features.
Note on editing features:
Shotwell doesn't write the edits(crop, rotate, auto-enhance) to the image file. Instead it records the changes in a database and apply them on the fly when the image is viewed. This will make sure that the original image file is not tampered even if you do something wrong while editing. You can always get a modified version of the photo by exporting it. The RAW editing features are also limited in Shotwell. This may improve in the course of development.
- Ubuntu Release Notes: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/beta#New%20features%20in%20Maverick
- Fedora release notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_in_Fedora_for_Desktop_Users.html#sect-Release_Notes-Fedora_Desktop
- Shotwell Wiki: http://trac.yorba.org/wiki/Shotwell